Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Genre, genre, genre

 There are so many genres out there, that having to pick one for my film opening feels very nerve-wracking.  Do I want to create something scary?  Do I want my viewers to put on their detective hats and solve a mystery?  Do I want them to fall in love at first sight? Do I want them to laugh until they cry?  Do I want them to run out of tissues? There are so many more to choose from, but the question is, what am I trying to achieve with my film opening?



I want my viewer to want to know what happens next.  I want them to ask "where's the rest of the story?"  The way to do that I think starts with the kind of story I want to tell.


I've always been a lover of romance.  It makes sense, I was born in February, and the color pink practically makes up my personality, but the thing about romance is that it is so hard to avoid the clichés.  Practically all romance movies are predictable and end in the same way.  No matter what obstacles are presented, Prince Charming always gets his damsel in distress.  


With romance not being my top choice, I though about horror.  I always love a thrill and a little bit of a scare, so why not take those elements and create something myself?  I am a fan of the SCREAM movies, and own all of them, except for the fifth because it hasn't yet come out, on DVD.  I also am a fan of the The Conjuring movies and the other movies that exist in that universe.  


I especially love the film opening of the first SCREAM movie.  It immediately tells the viewers that there is a psycho-killer on the loose, and gives the fans a good scare before getting into the rest of the story.  The question is, how can I do something like that, but in a shorter amount of time?  The SCREAM opening is five minutes long, whereas, my film opening is up to two minutes long.  I think first I want to figure out what my story is going to be now that I know I want to do something horror related, and then figure out how to do the opening.  I know I will figure it out soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My CCR!

 And now, it's really over, here is my CCR!  I had a lot of fun throughout creating this, as well as some trial and error throughout, so...